ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Provides high level customer service in all interactions with internal and external customers.
• Provides direct, professional, and knowledgeable interactions with patients, physicians, referral sources, and the treatment team.
• Answers calls accurately and with exceptional customer service at all times.
• Ensures caller’s needs are met and accurate information is obtained.
• Ensures calls are documented and triaged appropriately ensuring patient satisfaction and patient safety. Completes telephone encounter process if appropriate.
• Acts as patient advocate and liaisons with various departments to meet mutual goals.
• Maintains patient confidentiality regarding access to patient and other clinical information via email, computer, fax and mail
• Addresses concerns of patients, provides service recovery, and escalates issues as needed.
• Applies the policies of the clinical entity to schedule appointments.
• Coordinates financial counseling for day surgery
• Completes reminder calls to patients for scheduled appointments
• Educates patient/responsible parties regarding billing process and any additional financial responsibilities including third party benefits information.
• Provides out-of pocket cost estimates to patients
• Counsels patients about unpaid bills.
• Obtains future appointments at time of service for clinic follow-up, referrals, and ancillary services.
• Arrives patients and prepares paperwork/chart for visit.
• Appropriately receipts all monies collected, tokens distributed, and deferments authorized.
• Verifies, ensures eligibility, and pre-registers patients by obtaining patient demographics and third party coverage(s) at every encounter.
• Obtains and documents information required for third party reimbursement.
• Ensures compliance with Medicare and third party coverage.
• Communicates with patient, referral source, UTMB physician and clinical staff regarding any obstacle to access or authorization
• Fully dispositions each patient within the designated timeline.
• Adheres to internal controls established for department.
Bachelor's Degree and no experience or High School or equivalent and 2 years customer service and/or clerical experience. Job Description: The Patient Services Specialist I creates a positive patient experience by consistently exceeding expectations in customer service and patient care, by coordinating clerical and medical activities of a healthcare team, patient registration activities, and facilitating access to UTMB services for new and returning patients.