A weight loss consultant is a person who would work with clients in order to educate them about the problems associated with the following:
- Weight loss
Being a weight loss consultant, you would have to assess your client’s current weight along with his/her nutrition choices for the purpose of guiding them towards a healthier lifestyle with the primary goal of losing weight and maintain it.
The weight loss consultants can work for a range of settings like:
- Private companies
- Fitness centers
- Human service organizations
- Government agencies
Job duties of a weight loss consultant would vary depending on the work settings. However, being a weight loss consultant, you would require performing the following tasks:
How to Become a Weight Loss Consultant?
- Motivate your clients to exercise
- Organize a schedule for your clients
- Offer your support and advice along with assistance whenever required
- Talk with your clients to help them deciding that weight loss program is essential for them as per their health as well as customs
- Answer any query they may have
- Monitor them in order to ensure that they keep healthy
- Sell weight loss products to your clients
The most typical educational requirement for those who are intending to become a weight loss consultant is a high school diploma. However, the candidates might also choose to obtain a bachelor’s degree if they are willing to work for the employer who needs a degree. A bachelor’s degree is also needed if he/she decides to become certified.
In order to become a weight loss consultant, you might plan obtaining a bachelor’s degree in any area relating to the following:
This is because; the degree programs of this kind would offer you the chance of learning about proper fitness and various other aspects of health and wellness.
Training and Certification:
Any aspiring weight loss consultant could benefit from an internship offered by the weight loss and fitness centers. This would enable you to gain hands-on experience working with different clients when at the same time enabling you to learn new skills.
Although, most of the employers do not need certification, it would help you becoming competitive in the current job market. Certification is being offered via health and wellness organizations like:
What are the Skills and Attributes required for a Weight Loss Consultant?
- American Council on Exercise
- American Fitness Professionals and Associates
As a weight loss consultant, you would require:
- Interpersonal skills
- Communication skills
- Ability to motivate as well as inspire others
- Feel comfortable working with people from a broader range of backgrounds
- Persuasive abilities
- Interested in weight management
The average annual pay for a weight loss consultant is found to be $30,000 which equals $14 per hour.
Average Pay : $30,000
Education : Bachelor’s degree
On-the-job training : None
Work Experience : None